Skip to content

What to do if your documents are lost or stolen

If your passport is lost or stolen when you arrive, you should ask the consulate or embassy of your home country in Spain for a copy.

You must also contact the OMIB reception office so that they can assist you in the procedure that you must carry out in order to prove that you arrived with a student visa. The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madrid is in charge of this procedure.

Follow the link for a list of consulates/embassies in Barcelona. (Information not available in english, spanish link)

If the document that has been lost or stolen is your student card (which legalizes your stay in Spain), you must ask for a copy at the police station on Rambla Guipúscoa, 74, in Barcelona. You will be asked for the formal complaint (proof from the police that the document has been lost or stolen) and 2 passport-sized photographs. Please do not hesitate to contact the OMIB reception office if you have any questions.