Skip to content

You are here: Home / Mobility Office / Student mobility / FAQ COVID-19 / About legal procedures

About legal procedures

Academic year 2019-2020

Academic year 2020-2021


Academic year 2019-2020

  • If I am an European Union citizen studying now here in UPC, and I could not do before the confinement the legal procedure for the obtention of the NIE number, what can I do now to obtain it?

At this moment you can do nothing, because the alarm state in Spain makes impossible to obtain an appointment for these (and many other) procedures. As soon as the alarm state ends and it will be possible to obtain an appointment, you should follow the instructions that you will find in our website:

  • If I am a student from outside the European Union and I must renew my legal stay in Spain soon. What should I do?

In this situation, the Spanish Administration gives priority to the online public attention; so the presence-based public attention will be done only in the urgent cases that cannot be done by online means.
The persons that had a previously assigned appointment to go to the Police will receive, when the alarm state ends, a message (in the electronic address that they informed when they requested the appointment), with the instructions that they will have to follow then. These measures will be updated depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 health emergency situation.


  • I have a scheduled appointment in a "Comisaría" (Police office) to pick up my TIE card. What should I do?

From March 17th 2020 on, all the scheduled appointments have been cancelled; and the only public attention at the Comisarías (Police offices) will be reserved to extremely urgent cases, whose urgency must be proved by means of documents. Citizens are requested not to go to the dependences if they are not sure that they will be dealt with.
The alarm regulation stops (freezes), during its length, all the periods and deadlines to meet in order to perform the procedures. The periods of expiration and legal prescription have been also stopped.


  • I am a student from outside the European Union and I already returned to my country, during the alarm state. How can I be legal when I come back to Spain, if my TIE card expires now during this period?

If your TIE card expires before you come back to Spain and you had not previously began the procedure of TIE renewal and, in addition, obtained an authorization of return, then you should obtain a new student visa to come back to Spain. So please ask, as soon as you can, the Embassy or Consulate of Spain in your country, about the visa application.


  • I am a student from outside the European Union and I would like to go back to my country in the next weeks.  What can I do to be legal when I come back, taking into account that my TIE card will expire soon?

You should begin the TIE renewal procedure before going to your country. In the following link you will find the instructions of TIE renewal:

After starting the TIE renewal procedure and before travelling, you should also ask for an authorization of return :

However, as this last procedure implies to schedule an appointment with the Police, you will be able to do it only when the alarm state ends. You will find more information about the cancellation of appointments at: (in: "COVID-19: Announcement about appointments for legal procedures”).


Academic year 2020-2021

  • I am an international student from outside the European Union and I came back to my country, because of the COVID-19 emergency health situation. Will I be able to come back to Spain when the following academic year will be about to start, without obtaining before a new Spanish student visa, if I come back to Spain after the expiry date of my TIE card (or Spanish permit to stay as a student)?

It will not be possible. You should come back to Spain before your TIE card (or Spanish permit to stay as a student) expires; even coming back during the lasts days in which it is valid. If you do not come before the expiry date, before coming back, you will need to obtain a new Spanish student visa at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your origin country.