Skip to content

Non-EU students, stay less than 6 months

If you are a student from a country not belonging to the European Union (non-EU) and you are going to remain in Spain for LESS than six months, you do not need to make any compulsory legal procedure at your arrival. The Spanish visa in your passport is your legal permit to stay in Spain.

In your visa you have the "NIE" number (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros, the foreigners identification number). This number is needed for many administrative procedures, opening a bank account, the Bicing service, etc.
If you do not have this NIE number in your passport, please contact with OMI office. We will inform you how to make the procedure to obtain this NIE number.

If you need to stay more months, this visa could be extended during the last two months in which your visa is valid (I.e. Because I came just for one semester and in the end I will stay the whole academic year, two semesters).
But please note that this procedure of "visa extension" (of the 6-month visa) is exceptional and it is a long and bureaucratic procedure.