My TIE card is lost or stolen

  • Passport

    If your passport is lost or stolen, first of all you have to put a formal complaint at the police.

    After, you should ask the consulate or embassy of your home country in Spain for a copy.

    You must also so that they can assist you in the procedure that you must carry out in order to prove that you arrived with a student visa. The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madrid is in charge of this procedure.

    Follow the link for a list of embassies in Spain (Lista de Embajadas en España) and the List of Consultates in Barcelona (Lista de Consulados en Barcelona) (Information not available in English, Spanish link.)

  • TIE card

    If the document that has been lost or stolen is your student card (which legalizes your stay in Spain), you must ask for a duplicate of it. To do that you should ask for an appointment at a police station from the province of Barcelona, as you did when you first asked for the TIE card. 

    You will be asked for the formal complaint (proof from the police that the document has been lost or stolen), 1 passport-sized photograph, your passport and the tax paid (yes, sorry, you should take the proof of having paid again the tax as when when you asked for the card that you have lost). Please do not hesitate to  if you had any questions.