• What we do
The Media Office (OMC) is the department responsible for projecting and ensuring a positive image of UPC in society, in accordance with the strategic lines set out by the board of management.
The tools for projecting this image are the different internal and external communications products developed by the OMC in different formats and on different supports, particularly in relation to the media.
- Assessment of the importance and media impact of information
- How to communicate and whom to communicate to
- Strategic assessment and training in external and internal communication
- Directed communication campaigns:
- distribution of press releases to the media and publication in specialist journals.
- organization of campaigns: calls for press conferences, press conferences, press breakfasts, personalized interviews with journalists, op-ed articles.
- drafting of other journalistic content.
- follow-up of press, Internet and TV coverage: press cuttings.
- Covering requests from journalists Á la carte, depending on the news value and the UPC paper as a source of information.
- Assessment for teaching and research personnel (TRP) and administrative and service personnel (ASP) of the different departments for campaigns, events or specific interviews with the media.
- Training seminars on communication for TRP and ASP.
- Large-scale meetings between faculty and journalists to discuss the popularization of science.
- Press room. This is a digital space aimed specifically at the media.
The press room has been developed with a grant from the Spanish Science and Technology Foundation (Fundación Española de la Ciencia i Tecnología, FECYT) on the occasion of the Year of Science 2007, and forms part of one of the activities of the OMC as a Science Culture Unit.
- The News section of the university’s home page is updated on regularly basis and provides subscription to RSS feeds of the main news.
- Updating of institutional posts on the UPC website
- The Informacions monthly magazine, aimed at businesses and outside organizations, is also distributed to TRP and ASP and to the bodies that form part of the UPC group.
- The fortnightly online newsletter, e-Informacions, aimed at UPC TRP and ASP.
- Butlletí UPC is an online gazette that publishes the agreements, information documents and reports of the Rector, the board of management and the university senate, and the minutes of the meetings of the board of trustees.
As a result of the grant awarded by the FECYT on the occasion of Year of Science 2007, the OMC forms part of the network of Science Culture Units created by the Ministry of Education and Science with the aim of increasing the presence of quality science information in the media and bringing science closer to society.
As well as distributing science information via the channels of the press room, the OMC, as a Science Culture Unit, distributes news and multimedia content on research carried out in the university via the science information and news service platform, aimed at the media, the science and education community, the public, and Spanish businesses. The platform also makes it possible to publish research via international networks such as Alpha Galileo, and Eureka Alert.